Recently I had the flat to myself for a few sweet days and made some discoveries to share with you. Here is some small scale satisfaction you can indulge in the next time you find yourself home alone.
1. Shower for as long as you like – Being home alone means no queue for the bathroom and thus no need to cut your shower time short. There’s also nobody around to judge you if you’d rather leave the daily cleansing ritual to an unorthodox time of day, or if you need to do the now risk-free naked run.
2. Walk around naked– Self-confessed exhibitionist or not, the exhilarating feeling accompanying a naked traipse around is worth it. The pressure to cover up suddenly vanishes when you know you won’t be seen by anybody, with a heightened sense of body confidence (and maybe vanity) taking its place.
3. The kitchen is your domain – Cooking can be stressful: it requires equipment, ingredients and spare time to supervise your efforts, along with an occasional stir with the big spoon. Most people eat their evening meal in tandem, making the kitchen a competitive area; suffice to say, this will no longer be the case, and it feels so good. It’s also a good time to try out an ambitious recipe since you have time to clean up any mess you totally didn’t make.
4. Tidying-up can wait until the last minute – Consideration for other people engenders an enhanced responsibility to clean up after yourself – unless you’re home alone. If your housemates or family are away for more than one day, postpone damage repair to the last day of homely freedom and relax.
5. Do the activities you’re usually too self-conscious to do – Ideas include: singing, practicing an instrument, painting on a canvas; anything you’re afraid to do in front of other people is now open to you as an activity. Take advantage of this: create! Keep creating upon their return.
6. You can talk to yourself – Lots of us process thoughts, feelings and decisions via communication and since you’re the expert on your life, there’s no better person to verbally consult than yourself. If you need to reel off your to-do list or relieve your brain of current obsessions aloud, you can freely do so.
7. Borrow something, return it ASAP and voila – Sometimes you don’t have a household object to hand and suspect a housemate might possess it, yet you’d rather not disturb anybody. Fear not, you can now use whatever utensil you like and put it back without any human interaction involved. It’s the little things.